Providence Baptist Church was founded in 1954 by 56 charter members. The original property owned by the congregation was located on Providence Road. However, only five acres was available. The church sold that property and brought about twelve acres on Randolph Road in order to have more property for the original and future buildings. The church has grown to 2,000 members and is located on approximately 21 acres.
Four pastors have led Providence Baptist Church: the Reverend H. Gordon Weekley, Jr., Dr. William Henry Crouch, Dr. Charles B. Bugg, and currently Dr. R. Alton Cadenhead, Jr.
Providence was instrumental in constituting four other Charlotte area Baptist churches including: Carmel Baptist, Sharon Baptist, Candlewyck Baptist and The Korean Baptist Church. In addition, several new church starts have used our facilities until they could grow and afford their own property. Other nationalities have used our facilities for worship activities prior to securing their meeting facilities. Those included Korean, Ukraine, and Burmese. The original Chapel building has been used for those congregations.
Providence has ordained over 18 men and women to the gospel ministry and proudly claims others who call Providence "home" as they serve in the mission field.
God has blessed Providence Baptist Church and has provided us with a wealth of resources and talents. We fully recognize that "to whom much is given, much will be expected." We are building a strong church with an exciting future!
We will celebrate our 58th Anniversary on May 20, 2012.
The Original Chapel (built 1954)